Magzter Gold (Sitewide CA)
Birmingham Mail (Digital)

Birmingham Mail (Digital)

1 Issue, March 17, 2025

Also available on
MagzterGold logo

Get unlimited access to this article, this issue, + back issues & 9,000+ other magazines and newspapers.

Starting at $14.99/month

Choose a Plan
7-Day No Questions Asked Refund Guarantee.
Learn more

Council looking for 15 new sites for travellers

Council looking for 15 new sites for travellers
BIRMINGHAM City Council is looking to provide a pool of up to 15 temporary sites for caravan travellers after accepting its provision is inadequate.
A pilot programme could see “negotiated stopping” sites made available from this spring and will involve an unused piece of land being utilised as a temporary stopping place.
The proposals come amid the city council's issues with its transit sites, which are authorised areas where members of the travelling community can be directed to when in the city.
They typically provide hard standing for holding caravans, a secure boundary and basic sanitary provision while some also provide electricity.
But a report, published ahead of a cabinet meeting next week, said the council accepted the provision for the Gypsy, Roma Traveller (GRT) community had “not been adequate”.
It said the authority had two operational transit sites for travellers within the city.
But due to factors such as repeated vandalism and unauthorised encampments, they had not been “consistently operational” in recent years.
One site had been closed to new traveller groups for several years, it added.
“The existing provision does not meet the minimum pitch provision needs of the travelling community and there is no allocated budget for the management of the existing transit sites,” it said.
The report said from 2018/19 to 2022/23, 502 unauthorised encampments were recorded in Birmingham - 78% on publicly-owned land.
It said: “The use of unauthorised encampments presents significant costs to the council, both in terms of managing and moving on sites and remediation to damage and refuse left following an encampment.”
On what affected the ‘longevity’ of any encampment, the report said the council, and other public bodies, had to consider the welfare of anyone who lived in the area.
“Secondly, the available powers are hampered by the lack of an available transit site to direct encampments to,” it continued.
There needed to be a “clear strategic plan” to improve the situation and the “negotiated stopping” scheme could be part of that.
“A pilot programme is scheduled to commence in spring 2025 to gauge the effectiveness of this option in reducing the number of unauthorised encampments and in reducing demand for established transit sites.
“Based on historical data, it is anticipated the counc...
You're reading a preview of
Birmingham Mail (Digital) - 1 Issue, March 17, 2025

DiscountMags is a licensed distributor (not a publisher) of the above content and Publication through Magzter Inc. Accordingly, we have no editorial control over the Publications. Any opinions, advice, statements, services, offers or other information or content expressed or made available by third parties, including those made in Publications offered on our website, are those of the respective author(s) or publisher(s) and not of DiscountMags. DiscountMags does not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, truthfulness, or usefulness of all or any portion of any publication or any services or offers made by third parties, nor will we be liable for any loss or damage caused by your reliance on information contained in any Publication, or your use of services offered, or your acceptance of any offers made through the Service or the Publications. For content removal requests, please contact Magzter.

© 1999 – 2025 DiscountMags.com All rights reserved.